Time has come for an Indian coach to take over: Ganguly
Chennai: With Duncan Fletcher`s two-year tenure as India coach nearing its end, former captain Sourav Ganguly has pitched in for a home-grown person to take charge of the team next year, saying that the country has enough talent for an Indian to become a coach.
"We need to have an Indian coach and I am dead sure we have enough talent in the country to find an Indian coach," Ganguly said.
"It is not about individuals but I feel time has come for an Indian coach to take over," Ganguly said at a panel discussion after the launch of inaugural Wisden India Almanack magazine here last night.
Fletcher`s two-year tenure ends in March next year and it is widely believed that his contract will not be extended by the Indian Cricket Board (BCCI) given the team`s string of poor performances under him.
Under Fletcher, India had lost Test series away and home against England besides also being whitewashed in Australia.
The first copy of the inaugural edition, which features batting great Rahul Dravid on the cover, alongside current India star Virat Kohli, was presented to BCCI President N Srinivasan. The magazine is being published by Fidelis World.
Kohli received a copy of the Wisden India Almanack from Ganguly, currently president of the Wisden India Editorial Board.
"To feature on the cover of the Wisden India Almanack that too alongside a great player like Rahul is an honour," said Kohli.
Also present were current India captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Ravichandran Ashwin.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown