Tiwary, Uthappa named `A` team captains for Australian tour
Mumbai: Manoj Tiwary and Robin Uthappa have been named captains of India A`s four-day and one day squads, which will leave for a month-long tour of Australia to compete in first-class as well as limited overs matches.
While Tiwary will be skipper the side in the four day matches, Uthappa has been entrusted with the job of leading the side in the one day version. India will play two four-day matches against the James Faulkner-led Australia A in Queensland from July 6-9 and 13-16 respectively.
They will then play a quadrangular one day series involving Australia A, Australian High Performance Centre and South Africa A.
The team has all the players who have performed during the last domestic season as well as IPL-7.
The likes of K L Rahul, Karun Nair, Railways` Anureet Singh, Services` Rajat Paliwal have made it to the day`s team following good showings in Ranji Trophy while a few like Umesh Yadav, Amit Mishra will get a chance to showcase their skills before the five-match ODI series against England come calling.
Left-arm spinner Pragyan Ojha also gets a lifeline having been discarded from all formats in the senior team. Youngsters like Unmukt Chand, Akshar Patel, Manan Vohra, Rishi Dhawan have all been selected for the one day version.
The only surprise was Kedar Jadhav - Ranji Trophy`s highest scorer was not selected in the longer version after having scored 1223 runs this season.
Uthappa has been deservingly rewarded for his performance in the IPL while Tiwary got the captaincy on the basis that he has been on A tours the maximum number of times in this current squad apart from boasting a good first-class average of 59.55 across 65 matches with 18 tons.
Four Day squad: Manoj Tiwary(captain), KL Rahul, Jiwanjot Singh, Robin Uthappa, Ambati Rayudu, Karun Nair, Naman Ojha (wicketkeeper), Pragyan Ojha, Umesh Yadav, Dhawal Kulkarni, Anureet Singh, Rajat Paliwal, Amit Mishra, Sandeep Sharma, Jasprit Bumrah, Baba Aparajith
One Day series: Robin Uthappa(Captain), Unmukt Chand, Manish Pandey, Ambati Rayudu, Manoj Tiwary, Kedar Jadhav, Sanju Samson, Parveez Rasool, Akshar Patel, Dhawal Kulkarni, Rishi Dhawan, Mohit Sharma, Karn Sharma, Rahul Shukla, Manan Vohra, Jaydev Unadkat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore