Ton-up Younis, Misbah defy Sri Lanka in first Test
Abu Dhabi: Younis Khan hit a brilliant hundred and Misbah-ul Haq a chancy fifty as Pakistan established a lead on the second day of the first Test in Abu Dhabi On Wednesday.
Younis was unbeaten on 103 for his 23rd hundred and Misbah was 74 not out as Pakistan reached 251-3 at tea in reply to Sri Lanka`s first innings total of 204. Pakistan now lead by 47 runs and with Younis and Misbah sharing 168 for the unbroken fourth wicket stand, Pakistan look for a match-winning edge.
Younis hit spinner Rangana Herath for his 13th boundary to complete his hundred, taking just 47 balls for his second fifty runs. He has also hit a six.
Younis equalled Javed Miandad`s record of 23 centuries, the third highest for Pakistan in the list topped by Inzamam-ul Haq (25) and Mohammad Yousuf (24). Misbah had luck on his side as he was dropped by Mahela Jayawardene when on 69, as he tried to paddle sweep Herath and the fielder moving to leg-slip failed to hold an easy chance.
Misbah had also survived a close leg-before appeal on 48 off a luckless Herath as Sri Lanka`s referral was wasted as tv umpire Ravi Sundaram adjudged the ball had hit the bat. The Pakistani skipper has so far hit ten boundaries during his 164-ball knock.
Sri Lanka had started the day well by dismissing Mohammad Hafeez (11) and Ahmed Shehzad (38) after Pakistan resumed at 46-1.Hafeez had started off well, hitting two straight boundaries off Lakmal before miscuing a drive off the same bowler and was smartly caught at short cover by Kaushal Silva.
Silva, also a wicket-keeper but selected as opener in this Test, dived to his left and caught the ball inches from the ground.
Shehzad also miscued a hook shot and was caught at forward square-leg by Dimuth Karunaratne after hitting three boundaries.
The second Test will be played in Dubai (January 8-12) and the third in Sharjah (January 16-20).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey