Top Pakistani cricketers guilty of never filing tax returns
Islamabad: Pakistan`s Federal Board of Revenue has revealed that a shocking number of national cricketers refrain from filing tax returns.
According to the FBR, 21 cricketers have not filed tax returns and/or used other loopholes in the system to keep their money safe from the prying eyes of tax authorities, reports The Dawn.
Even more shocking is the fact that six cricketers - Rana Naveed-ul-Hassan, Wahab Riaz, Asad Shafiq, Tanvir Ahmed, Yasir Arafat and Kamran Akmal - do not figure on the tax roll at all. As a result, the six do not possess a National Tax Number (NTN), without which one cannot even buy a new car in the country.
In most cases, cricketers have had the tax deducted at source - which means that the tax is deducted at the time they are being paid and it is deducted by the organization making the payment. In their case, it is the Pakistan Cricket Board, the paper stated.
Among the 15 prominent players who are on the tax roll, many did not file annual tax returns for 2010 and 2011, although they may have earned huge amounts in that period from domestic and international cricket. These are Imran Farhat, Saeed Ajmal, Taufiq Umer, Muhammad Umer Akmal, Abdul Rehman, Umar Gul, and Sohail Tanveer.
Misbahul Haq, who has served as captain during the current series against Australia, filed only an employer`s statement about his earnings in 2010 but nothing the next year.
Muhammad Hafeez, captain of the T20 matches in the same series against Australia has also behaved similarly.
Senior cricketers such as Muhammad Younus Khan and Shoaib Akhtar have also been guilty of this.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets
- Copa America final: Chile beat Argentina 4-2 to win title after Lionel Messi misses penalty kick