Top-ranked ODI batsman Virat Kohli turns 25
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Virat Kohli, who became the top-ranked ODI batsman on Sunday on account of his superlative batsmanship against Australia in a seven-match series, turns 25 today.
Such has been the manner in which Kohli has stamped his authority in the 50-over format that former greats of the game are tipping him to match and even surpass the exploits of Sachin Tendulkar.
In the recently concluded ODI series at home against the world’s second best ODI team, Kohli recorded 344 runs at an average of 114.66. His two centuries were imperative in leading India to their two highest ever chases in ODIs.
By topping the batting charts in ODIs, Kohli has become the third Indian to achieve the distinction after Tendulkar and current skipper MS Dhoni.
So far, the 25-year-old has played 118 ODIs in which he has slammed 17 centuries and 26 half-centuries at 51.77. Out of those 17 tons, 11 have come in successful chases – next only to Tendulkar’s tally of 14.
The ODI series against Australia also saw him record five successive scores of 50 or more for the second time in his career which is a record.
At such a young stage, Kohli already has been tipped by many to become a batting legend and if he manages to score in the manner that he has been doing of late, he may end up proving the experts right who are already comparing him as Tendulkar’s bona fide successor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with India's first NBA player Satnam Singh
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra