Toss up between Johnson, Malinga as MI set to retain all five
New Delhi: Defending champions Mumbai Indians are all set to keep their core group of players intact as they are all set to use their five retentions for the upcoming IPL VII with the choice between Ashes hero Mitchell Johnson and Sri Lankan slinger Lasith Malinga.
While skipper Rohit Sharma and West Indies all-rounder Kieron Pollard are most certain to be retained, the choice for the second foreigner will be between Johnson and Malinga.
While Johnson`s brilliant form in the Ashes and his supposed availability throughout the entire IPL duration is a positive, the factors that work for Malinga are his past performances for the Mumbai Indians as well as his better skills on the sub-continental pitches.
"Mitch has had a tremendous season. Even Sachin (Tendulkar) had indicated in his post-retirement presser that the fast bowler would make the difference in the Ashes. But if some of the matches are played in Sri Lanka, then Malinga`s experience on those tracks could prove to be vital. Obviously, the one who is not retained can be got back with Right to Match card," a senior IPL official told a leading agency on Wednesday.
Harbhajan Singh, who had a brilliant IPL season last time as he was third in the bowler`s list with 24 wickets is all but certain to be retained.
"Bhajji has been associated with MI from the first year. He has a loyal fan base in Mumbai among the staunch MI supporters," the IPL official informed.
The tough choice will be between Dinesh Karthik and Ambati Rayudu as the team needs a top wicketkeeper-batsman.
While Rayudu has been one of the better domestic performers for MI, Karthik`s glovework is far better than that of Rayudu.
"In terms of batting, Rayudu might just have a slight advantage but DK is miles ahead when it comes to glovework. This will also be an interesting choice," he concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations