Tour by Pak cricket team a matter of national shame: Thackeray
Mumbai: Maintaining his strong opposition to the tour by the Pakistani cricket team to India, Shiv Sena on Thursday said it was a matter of "national shame".
"The Pakistan team will be playing matches at Delhi, Kolkata, Chennai and Bengaluru. At one point or the other, Pak terrorists have attacked these cities," Thackeray said.
The feet of Pakistani players wont be touching Maharashtra but their tour of these cities is a matter of national shame, he said, in an editorial in party mouthpiece "Saamana" here.
Thackeray also flayed BCCI, saying "it was betraying the country for sake of money" and our cricketers were part of the betrayal.
Referring to Pakistan`s role in 26/11 and Parliament attacks, Thackeray said playing against Pak cricketers is an insult to our martyr jawans.
Thackeray also criticised Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, saying he had "offered his services to Pakistan" by giving green signal for the Pak tour to India.
"Except for Kapil Dev and Sunil Gavaskar, no one opposed playing cricket with Pakistan," he said.
The Home Ministry on October 30 had cleared Pakistan cricket team`s tour of India for a limited-over series beginning December 25.
The Raj Thackeray-led MNS has also opposed the Pak cricket tour.
"Raj saheb had already declared that we will not allow any India-Pak match in Maharashtra," MNS MLA Shishir Shinde told PTI.
In October 1991, Shinde, who was then with Shiv Sena, had dug up the pitch at Wankhede stadium to protest against an India-Pak match which was scheduled to be held there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday