Tremlett has shades of Garner, says bowling coach
Southampton: New fast bowling find Chris Tremlett was likened to West Indies great Joel Garner by England`s bowling coach on Friday.
The tall Tremlett troubled the batsmen with his pace and awkward bounce to claim test-best figures of six for 42 for England as Sri Lanka slumped to 177 for nine on another rain-affected day on the second day of the third and final test.
Tremlett, 29, and Garner, 58, are 6-foot-8. The West Indian picked up 259 wickets in 58 tests in the 1970s and 1980s but the Englishman has played just nine tests.
"He`s got a lot of attributes like Joel Garner, like height and good bounce," bowling coach David Saker told a news conference. "He compliments (fellow paceman) Jimmy (Anderson) really well.
"He`s been fantastic for us. He just needs to keep improving but he`s proven to a lot of people here he belongs in test cricket," added Australian Saker.
"Guys with height always have a little bit of an advantage and if you talk to some really good batsmen, the bounce of a ball is so important in test cricket. The taller guys can exploit that."
Tremlett made his test debut against India in 2007 but was then hit by injury.
He played under Shane Warne at Hampshire for a spell but the Australia leg-spinner said the fast bowler "grew up" when he joined Surrey in 2010.
Tremlett impressed in the Ashes test series in Australia in December and January, cementing his place in England`s team.
"I saw him bowl once at Surrey. I watched two balls and went up to (England team director) Andy Flower and said `this guy is a test cricketer`," Saker said.
"I don`t know what happened in the past but I knew if we could keep this guy on the park, I had no hesitation he could play good test cricket if he could get his body right.
"I suppose after the last 12 months he`s shown a lot of people in England he can do the job."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak