Two Lankan umpires banned for match-fixing
Colombo: Sri Lankan umpires Sagara Gallage and Maurice de La Zilwa, who were caught in a TV sting willing to fix cricket matches for money, have been suspended for 10 and three years respectively while Gamini Dissanayake, the other accused umpire, was exonorated due to lack of evidence.
After hearing the accused, the Sri Lanka Cricket (SLC) have found their involvemnet into the matter.
Though Dissanayake has escaped punishment but he has been stripped of his seniority, SLC ex-co sources said.
In October last year, an Indian news channel purportedly caught on camera six ICC umpires from Sri Lanka, Pakistan and Bangladesh agreeing to help certain players, fix decisions as well provide pitch and team information predominantly in the Sri Lanka Premier League.
Besides the Sri Lankans, Nadeem Ghauri and Anees Siddiqui of Pakistan and Nadir Shah of Bangladesh were named.
Sri Lankans Gallage, Maurice De la Zilwa and Gamini Dissanayake have been allegedly caught on tape agreeing to alter their decisions for money.
They all denied accusations and called for a probe to clear their names.
Dissanayake was alleged to have "promised to revolt" against Sri Lankan cricket if compensated monetarily.
He also purportedly claimed that by providing liquor to Sri Lankan Cricket (SLC) officials, one can get any work done
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Parrikar hits out at Nawaz Sharif, says India doesn't need advice about troops in Siachen
- Prefer to ignore what Nawaz Sharif said at UN, says Manohar Parrikar
- Congressmen tie pigeon inside rocket to welcome their leader – A must watch for Rahul Gandhi