U-19 World Cup winning members felicitated
Ahmedabad: Two members of the U-19 World Cup winning team and the Gujarat squad that won the Syed Mushtaq Ali T20 tourney were on Sunday felicitated by the state cricket association here.
Paceman Rush Kalaria and wicket-keeper-batsman Smit Patel - who stitched a vital partnership with captain Unmukt Chand in the final against Australia last year - were feted by Gujarat Cricket Association (GCA) president and state chief minister Narendra Modi. They were handed over cheques of Rs 5 lakh each.
Gujarat team, led by Parthiv Patel, which won the Syed Mushtaq Ali tourney, were also awarded. The team was handed over a cheque of Rs 10 lakh by the GCA.
Rising star Manpreet Juneja, who scored 193 against the touring New Zealand A team last week, was also felicitated for scoring an unbeaten 203 in his debut Ranji Trophy match last season.
The Central Board of Cricket Ahmedabad (CBCA) also handed over prizes to winners, runners-up, best batsmen and best bowlers in the local tournaments played in 2010-11 and 2011-12 season.
Speaking on the occasion, Modi said "Gujarat has contributed a lot to cricket in India. Even during pre-independence days, Gujarat made a significant contribution to Indian cricket."
He had a word of advice for budding cricketers who earn name and fame quite early in their career.
"The attitude of young cricketers, who earn name and fame quite early in their career, should be good. They should stand out as cricketers from Gujarat in their behaviour and personality," Modi advised.
He further said that Gujarat is giving special attention to sports and has organised Khel Mahakumbh for the last two years.
He added that the state government had set up Sports University and now plans to establish a Sports school in every district of the state.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city