Uganda names squad to defend ICC Africa T20 trophy
Kampala : Uganda has named an 18-man squad that will defend its title when the International Cricket Council (ICC) Africa T20 tournament kicks off here Feb 23.
Martin Suji, the national team coach, said Monday that they were ready for the tournament that will also act as a World Cup qualifier.
"We have trained so hard and are simply waiting for action," Suji told Xinhua in an interview.
Uganda will open their campaign against arch-rivals Kenya Feb 23, the same day Botswana battle Tanzania.
The winning nation along with the runners-up of the event and Namibia will represent Africa at the ICC`s penultimate round of the World Cup qualifier in the United Arab Emirates in 2014.
The Namibian team gained automatic entry into the 2014 tournament because of their outstanding performance in the last tournament when they lost to Afghanistan and Ireland in the final play offs, thus missing out on a World Cup berth in 2012.
Besides the hosts Uganda, the other teams that will take part in the event include; Nigeria, Kenya, Tanzania and Botswana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey