Umar Akmal arrested for misbehaving with traffic cop
Lahore: Pakistan cricketer Umar Akmal was on Saturday arrested for allegedly thrashing a traffic warden and tearing his uniform after he was stopped for violating a signal, here.
Police said the cricketer had a face-off with traffic warden Zeshan at Gulberg`s Firdous market area here. Umar, 23, the youngest of the Akmal brothers, was challaned for the offence by the warden, which led to the argument. "He (Umar) caught him by the neck and also tore his (traffic warden`s) uniform," Tariq Aziz, SSP Gulberg station, told reporters.
Akmal was taken to the police station and case under sections 186, 279 and 353 of Pakistan Penal Code (for obstructing in the official work, tearing police uniform, and misbehaving and hurling threats) was registered against him.
"It is a very serious offence to assault an officer on duty and tear his uniform. We have registered a case against Umar under three sections," he said. Umar, on the other hand, counter-alleged that the warden had abused and slapped him.
"The language used by the police officer was not appropriate and he had no right to talk to me like that. He also slapped me. The place where the incident took place has CCTV cameras all around and I would ask the authorities to just look at the footage and then decide whether I have done any wrong," Umar said.
"Police officers had requested me to reconcile the matter with the warden but, instead, they registered a case against me," he said, adding he had also submitted a complaint against the warden in question for misbehaving with him.
Meanwhile, an eyewitness said that both Umar and the traffic warden hit each other. "Both (cricketer and warden) hit each other. Other wardens present there interfered and separated them," said Mudassar Sheikh, an eyewitness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'