Umar Akmal arrested for misbehaving with traffic cop
Lahore: Pakistan cricketer Umar Akmal was on Saturday arrested for allegedly thrashing a traffic warden and tearing his uniform after he was stopped for violating a signal, here.
Police said the cricketer had a face-off with traffic warden Zeshan at Gulberg`s Firdous market area here. Umar, 23, the youngest of the Akmal brothers, was challaned for the offence by the warden, which led to the argument. "He (Umar) caught him by the neck and also tore his (traffic warden`s) uniform," Tariq Aziz, SSP Gulberg station, told reporters.
Akmal was taken to the police station and case under sections 186, 279 and 353 of Pakistan Penal Code (for obstructing in the official work, tearing police uniform, and misbehaving and hurling threats) was registered against him.
"It is a very serious offence to assault an officer on duty and tear his uniform. We have registered a case against Umar under three sections," he said. Umar, on the other hand, counter-alleged that the warden had abused and slapped him.
"The language used by the police officer was not appropriate and he had no right to talk to me like that. He also slapped me. The place where the incident took place has CCTV cameras all around and I would ask the authorities to just look at the footage and then decide whether I have done any wrong," Umar said.
"Police officers had requested me to reconcile the matter with the warden but, instead, they registered a case against me," he said, adding he had also submitted a complaint against the warden in question for misbehaving with him.
Meanwhile, an eyewitness said that both Umar and the traffic warden hit each other. "Both (cricketer and warden) hit each other. Other wardens present there interfered and separated them," said Mudassar Sheikh, an eyewitness.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster