Umar Akmal needs to justify his place in team, says Sohail
Islamabad: Former Pakistan captain Amir Sohail has said it’s time Umar Akmal justifies his place in the team, and added that if Umar doesn’t matures now as a batsman, then he would be facing tough competition from other players to stay in the team.
“Umar Akmal needs to perform. In the past, his inexperience at international level has shielded him from criticism but he`s been around a few years now and still wasting good starts,” Sohail wrote in his column for a website.
“If I could speak to him, I wouldn`t give him a long lecture on the intricacies of batting. I would say just one thing – Umar Akmal, you have to justify your talent, it is time you justified your talent,” he added.
Sohail said the best way in which Umar can improve his batting is to follow the fundamental principle of batting i.e. to spend more time at the crease.
“How can he achieve this? The answer lies in the age-old cricketing mantra of a batsman focusing on occupying the crease. There are many players who have immense talent but fail at the highest level simply because they cannot translate the application of that talent to the rigors of international cricket,” Sohail wrote.
“I would suggest he thinks deeply about his batting, cutting down the number of strokes he tries to play and focusing on a few key scoring areas,” he added.
Sohail further wrote: “If Umar doesn`t learn quickly, there is stiff competition developing with Asad Shafiq, who is playing well, along with a few other players who have come on to the scene. This competition should give Umar some food for thought and provide him with motivation for self-analysis.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened