Umar Akmal to go through extensive medical examination
Karachi: The Pakistan Cricket Board has decided to push national team player Umar Akmal through an extensive medical examination procedure after foreign doctors informed them that the batsman had 35 to 50 per cent probability of suffering seizures again in his lifetime.
Umar was called back by the PCB from the West Indies after he fell unconscious after a seizure on a flight from Trinidad to Antigua during the Caribbean Premier League.
He was taken to a hospital in Antigua where doctors, after examining him in detail, sent a report to the PCB.
"They sent the alarm bells ringing in the board when the report said that Umar had 35 to 50 percent probability of suffering seizures again in his lifetime and such seizures are normally associated with epilepsy," an official source in the board stated.
"The West Indies officials were so concerned with his condition that they even sent a doctor with him on the flight to Abu Dhabi so that he shouldn`t travel alone."
The source made it clear that after reading the report, the board decided that Umar should undergo further detailed scans and tests in Pakistan.
"He has so far been examined by two top neurologists in Lahore and Karachi. He was sent to Karachi for a second examination with neurologist Dr Nadir because there are more facilities available for all possible scans related to his condition," the source said.
He said Dr Nadir would be sending his report to the board on Friday.
"Once we receive Dr Nadir`s report we will know what is his true medical condition. If God forbid it is diagnosed he can suffer seizures again then he will be put through a proper medication course by specialists," the source said.
He pointed out that when a player was given medication and therapy his concerned home board had to first get all clearance from the ICC in accordance with their anti-doping policy so that he does not end up testing positive in any doping test.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Why is religion being made the basis of election campaigns in UP?
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Sony Xperia X gets a price cut of whopping Rs 14,000