Umar is not faking injury, says manager Alam
Pallekele: Pakistan manager Intikhab Alam on Saturday dismissed claims that young batsman Umar Akmal has feigned a finger injury to put pressure on the management not to drop his underperforming brother Kamran in the ongoing World Cup.
As Kamran has so far put up a dismal show in the ongoing World Cup, especially against New Zealand, the Pakistan team is mulling to hand wicketkeeping gloves to Umar for the clash against Zimbabwe on Monday.
However, Umar hurt his right hand index finger during team practice two days ago, leading Pakistani media to speculate that he actually wanted to save Kamran`s place in the side and thus is making excuses.
However, team manager Alam today asserted that nothing of that sort is happening and there is actually pain in Umar`s finger.
"There is no such thing and we will wait and see how the injury heals. Umar has pain when he bends the finger and there was slight swelling but since scans revealed no fracture we will wait until the morning of the match against Zimbabwe," Alam said.
Umar did not take part in the team practice on Saturday and remains a doubtful starter for the Monday`s match, where a win would seal Pakistan`s place in the knockout stage.
Last year also, reports have said that after the Sydney Test against Australia, Umar was accused of threatening the management to pull out of the team if his underperforming brother was axed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!