Umar is not faking injury, says manager Alam
Pallekele: Pakistan manager Intikhab Alam on Saturday dismissed claims that young batsman Umar Akmal has feigned a finger injury to put pressure on the management not to drop his underperforming brother Kamran in the ongoing World Cup.
As Kamran has so far put up a dismal show in the ongoing World Cup, especially against New Zealand, the Pakistan team is mulling to hand wicketkeeping gloves to Umar for the clash against Zimbabwe on Monday.
However, Umar hurt his right hand index finger during team practice two days ago, leading Pakistani media to speculate that he actually wanted to save Kamran`s place in the side and thus is making excuses.
However, team manager Alam today asserted that nothing of that sort is happening and there is actually pain in Umar`s finger.
"There is no such thing and we will wait and see how the injury heals. Umar has pain when he bends the finger and there was slight swelling but since scans revealed no fracture we will wait until the morning of the match against Zimbabwe," Alam said.
Umar did not take part in the team practice on Saturday and remains a doubtful starter for the Monday`s match, where a win would seal Pakistan`s place in the knockout stage.
Last year also, reports have said that after the Sydney Test against Australia, Umar was accused of threatening the management to pull out of the team if his underperforming brother was axed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH