Unadkat’s selection in national team surprises father, coaches
Rajkot: The "unexpected" selection of Saurashtra fast bowler Jaydev Unadkat in the Indian team for the second Test against Australia in Bangalore has surprised his father as well as two coaches.
The 19-year-old left-arm seamer has been drafted in the national squad as a replacement for the injured speedster Ishant Sharma.
"Due to Jaydev`s commitment, we were confident and hopeful that he would play for the country. But we were not expecting him to be selected for the national team so quickly," Jaydev`s father Deepakbhai Undadkat said.
Two of the teenager`s coaches Rambhai Odedara and Mahendrasinh Jethwa echoed Deepakbhai`s sentiments.
"He has good talent in seam bowling and I believed that he would represent the country at the international level. But I didn`t expect that he would get a chance so early," Odedara said.
"He is very talented and has proved his talent at every opportunity he got. The way he was playing, I knew that he would be playing for the country one day," Jethwa said.
Jaydev, who is yet to play a Ranji Trophy match, has taken 21 wickets in four first class matches and 13 wickets in 10 List A matches. Representing Rest of India in the Irani Trophy match, he took four wickets in Mumbai`s first innings while conceding 41 runs.
Jaydev has also represented the Kolkata Knight Riders in the Indian Premier League.
The second Test of the two match rubber between India and Australia will begin from October 9. India leads the series 1-0 after defeating the visitors by one wicket in a thrilling contest in Mohali.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed