Underdogs Cobras aim to upset young New South Wales side
Chennai: Underdogs Cape Cobras will aim to rock the boat of a young New South Wales team when they clash in their Group A match of the Champions League T20 in Chennai on Saturday.
Cobras have two former Champions League T20 titlists -- Chennai Super Kings and New South Wales -- in their pool and captain Justin Kemp has admitted that his team is not as fancied as the others.
"The other teams have players, who have done exceptionally well in the last few years. But we`re confident and if can play good cricket and able to put up a good performance, it would be a great opportunity for a lot of young guys as well as the older ones," Kemp had said.
However, Cobras enjoy the advantage of having a clutch of experienced campaigners to rely on, including speed demon Dale Steyn, allrounder J P Duminy, the supremely gifted Herchelle Gibbs, English batsman Owais Shah and Kemp himself.
The South Africa-based unit also has good spin options in Robin Peterson (left-arm orthodox), Duminy (offbreak), Justin Ontong (offbreak) and 19-year-old Michael Rippon (chinaman).
Former champions New South Wales, back in the competition after a hiatus of one year, are basically a young side with a few experienced players in their ranks.
Skippered by battle-hardened Australian opener Simon Katich, the team finished second in the KFC Twenty20 Big Bash to qualify directly for the group stages.
The Australian side`s trump card will be Shane Watson, the burly allrounder with whom Katich used to open the batting for his country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends