UP beat Railways by 17 runs in Vijay Hazare Trophy
Nagpur: Mohammad Kaif (56) and Amir Khan (50) cracked twin half-centuries to help Uttar Pradesh notch up a 17-run victory over Indian Railways in a one-day cricket match of the Vijay Hazare Trophy on Monday.
Electing to bat, UP were dismissed for 186 but the R P Singh led team returned to bowl out the Indian railways for 169 with Bhuvneshwar Kumar claiming four for 28.
UP were rattled by Indian Railway seamers and at one stage were reduced to 29 for five.
Exploiting the early morning life on the wicket, K Upadhaya (4 for 39) and Shailender Gehlot (2 for 29), aided by some shoddy batting from UP batsmen, put Railways in early command.
However, Kaif and Amir shared a 104-run sixth-wicket partnership to bring some stability to the batting side but once the duo were dismissed, Railways were once again on top.
Bhuvneshwar(32 not out) provided the later charge and in company of tailenders struck some lusty blows to push the UP score to 186 all out off 48.3 overs.
In reply, Indian Railways were left tottering at five for 26 by some fierce seam bowling from Bhuvneshwar and RP Singh (3 for 32).
Left-handed batsman Faiz Fazal (70) and Ashish Yadav (41) raised some hope for Railway with some defiant batting but eventually fell short.
Their exit at critical juncture combined with leg spinner Piyush Chawla`s (2 for 37) briliant bowling led the way for UP`s victory.
Brief Scores: Uttar Pradesh 186 all out in 48.3 overs. (Mohd Kaif 56, Amir Khan 50; K Upadhyay 4/39) Indian Railways: 169 all out in 48.3 overs (Faiz Fazal 70, Ashish Yadav 41; Bhuvneshwar Kumar 4/28).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city