UP qualify for Ranji quarterfinals
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh sealed their berth in the Ranji Trophy quarterfinals after their final Group B league match against Railways ended in a draw on the fifth and final day here on Thursday.
Uttar Pradesh ended at second spot in Group B, ahead of Bengal, who also qualified for the quarterfinals on a better quotient, while Railways are on top of the group with 28 points.
Uttar Pradesh opener Tanmay Srivastava scored 103 with 11 fours and a six, and combined with Umang Sharma for a third-wicket association that yielded 78 runs.
Srivastava was dismissed in the 71st over, but Umang remained unbeaten on 51 as the hosts ended at 231 for 3 from 77 overs.
Railways had begun the day at 460 for 4 with their overnight centurions Arindam Ghosh (181) and Mahesh Rawat (188) still at the crease, but left-arm spinner Ali Murtaza picked up four quick wickets before the visitors eventually declared at 518 for 9.
Uttar Pradesh will now go to Bangalore to face Karnataka in the quarterfinals while Railways face Bengal in Kolkata.
Railways: 518 for 9 dec in 167 overs (Mahesh Rawat 188, Arindam Ghosh 181; Ali Murtaza 4/112)
Uttar Pradesh: 231 for 3 in 77 overs (Tanmay Srivastava 103, Umang Sharma 51 not out).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand