Usman Khwaja to play for Sydney Thunder in Big Bash
Sydney: Sydney Thunder have confirmed the signing of Usman Khawaja, just a day after rivals Big Bash League rivals Perth Scorchers claimed to have signed the promising Test batsman.
The Thunder announced on Saturday the 24-year-old would join the likes of David Warner and Chris Gayle in playing for the side in the upcoming revamped Twenty20 competition.
It completed a bizarre turn of events after officials from the Scorchers were forced to backflip on claiming they had signed the player on Friday, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
The WACA believed it had reached an agreement with Khawaja``s management on Wednesday that the 24-year-old left-hander would line up for the Scorchers in the revamped Twenty20 tournament.
However, his management communicated to the WACA that Khawaja was still considering his options and likely to join another BBL team closer to his Sydney home.
WACA cricket manager Andrew Scotford said there had been a “miscommunication” with Usman before his departure to Zimbabwe to join the Australia A tour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?