Usman Khwaja to play for Sydney Thunder in Big Bash
Sydney: Sydney Thunder have confirmed the signing of Usman Khawaja, just a day after rivals Big Bash League rivals Perth Scorchers claimed to have signed the promising Test batsman.
The Thunder announced on Saturday the 24-year-old would join the likes of David Warner and Chris Gayle in playing for the side in the upcoming revamped Twenty20 competition.
It completed a bizarre turn of events after officials from the Scorchers were forced to backflip on claiming they had signed the player on Friday, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
The WACA believed it had reached an agreement with Khawaja``s management on Wednesday that the 24-year-old left-hander would line up for the Scorchers in the revamped Twenty20 tournament.
However, his management communicated to the WACA that Khawaja was still considering his options and likely to join another BBL team closer to his Sydney home.
WACA cricket manager Andrew Scotford said there had been a “miscommunication” with Usman before his departure to Zimbabwe to join the Australia A tour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Singapore Airlines flight caught fire during emergency landing at Changi Airport - Details here
- New survey reveals why men resort to unprotected sex
- 4.7 magnitude earthquake hits India-Bangladesh border region
- Google pays musical tribute to Bollywood legend RD Burman on his 77th birth anniversary! - See pic
- British EU vote unnerves world leaders and markets