Usman Khwaja to play for Sydney Thunder in Big Bash
Sydney: Sydney Thunder have confirmed the signing of Usman Khawaja, just a day after rivals Big Bash League rivals Perth Scorchers claimed to have signed the promising Test batsman.
The Thunder announced on Saturday the 24-year-old would join the likes of David Warner and Chris Gayle in playing for the side in the upcoming revamped Twenty20 competition.
It completed a bizarre turn of events after officials from the Scorchers were forced to backflip on claiming they had signed the player on Friday, The Sydney Morning Herald reports.
The WACA believed it had reached an agreement with Khawaja``s management on Wednesday that the 24-year-old left-hander would line up for the Scorchers in the revamped Twenty20 tournament.
However, his management communicated to the WACA that Khawaja was still considering his options and likely to join another BBL team closer to his Sydney home.
WACA cricket manager Andrew Scotford said there had been a “miscommunication” with Usman before his departure to Zimbabwe to join the Australia A tour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan