Vaughan slams `screw loose` Warner as `disgrace to Oz` over Root-punching controversy
London: Former England captain Michael Vaughan has branded controversial Australian opener David Warner as a disgrace to his nation for punching England batsman Joe Root, adding that he must have a `screw loose`.
Lord`s authorities had claimed that Root, allegedly clowning around with a fancy-dress wig, was punched by Warner in `an unprovoked physical attack` in Birmingham`s Australian-themed Walkabout bar in the early hours of Sunday.
However, Root has refused to press charges over a bust-up which casts a large shadow over next month`s Ashes.
Slamming Warner, Vaughan, now a BBC Test Match Special pundit, said that the opener has tarnished the whole Australian cricket team, adding that the entire network, structure, captain, management and supporters are all tarred with the same brush because of one individual.
Refusing to blame the Australian team management, Vaughan said that the management is helpless if one of their players attacks an opposing player late in the night, adding that it is the responsibility of that player, instead of the coach or the captain, to assess his behaviour.
Warner was axed and forced to carry the drinks at Wednesday`s abandoned Champions Trophy tie with New Zealand at Edgbaston in the latest blow to Australia`s fading credibility as a cricket superpower.
Warner, fined 3,700 pounds for sending abusive, expletive-riddled tweets to Australian cricket journalists only last month, is waiting to find out if he will be sent home by a disciplinary commission investigating the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown