Verdict on Kaneria appeal expected tomorrow
Karachi: The independent panel holding the hearing of Pakistani Test leg-spinner Danish Kaneria`s appeal against the life ban imposed on him by the England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is expected to give its verdict on the case tomorrow in London.
Sources aware of the case said the four-day proceedings of the hearing had nearly been completed with Kaneria also having recorded his statement after his former Essex teammate, Mervyn Westfield gave his statement to the panel on the spot-fixing case.
"The cross examination of Westfield has also been completed so the verdict is expected on Friday which will decide Kaneria`s future," one source said.
Kaneria was banned for life from playing in England by the ECB in June-July last year after its disciplinary panel found the leg-spinner guilty of corruption.
The punishment came after Westfield testified against Kaneria in the hearing, claiming the Pakistani player had instigated him to accept money to underperform in a county match against Durham in September 2009 that was later investigated by the Essex police.
The investigations led to the ECB hearing and life ban on Kaneria who took 261 Test wickets before he was sidelined from the team by Pakistan Cricket Board in September 2010 because of the spot fixing investigations going on against him in England.
Kaneria had appealed against the ban and the hearing was set for last December but due to the refusal of Westfield to appear in person, the hearing got delayed until April.
The ECB had to summon Westfield for the appeal hearing through a High Court order.
If Kaneria`s appeal is dismissed by the independent panel, it would be a disaster for him as he has also been ordered by the ECB disciplinary panel to pay costs of 100,000 pounds.
The PCB has also already suspended Kaneria from all levels of cricket pending the outcome of his appeal hearing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant
- When Peter Mukherjea met and fell madly in love with Indrani