Vernon Philander back in Proteas squad for Tests against Pakistan
Johannesburg: South African seamer Vernon Philander, who missed the last Test against New Zealand owing to a hamstring injury, has returned to the squad for the first cricket Test against Pakistan.
He replaced all-rounder Ryan McLaren in the side.
Philander had bagged the Man of the Match award in first Test against New Zealand in Newlands before he was ruled out of the second Test match in Port Elizabeth with a hamstring injury. South Africa clinched the series 2-0.
Philander`s replacement in the last Test seamer Rory Kleinveldt, and Jacques Rudolph will again provide the bowling and batting cover for the squad.
"We are very happy with the job that Rory did against New Zealand when Vernon dropped out while Jacques provides us with a lot of experience as the cover batsman," Cricket South Africa (CSA) selection convener Andrew Hudson said.
The first Test match against Pakistan will be played at Wanderers in Johannesburg from February 1.
South Africa squad: Graeme Smith (capt), Hashim Amla, AB de Villiers, Faf du Plessis, Dean Elgar, Jacques Kallis, Rory Kleinveldt, Morne Morkel, Alviro Petersen, Robin Peterson, Vernon Philander, Jacques Rudolph, Dale Steyn.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Srinagar-Muzaffarabad bus service resumes
- 2nd Test, Day 3: England bounce back to level series 1-1 with massive 330-run win over Pakistan
- Lok Sabha passes bill providing for opening of 6 new IITs
- NIA files chargesheet in Bangalore Church Street blast case
- Story of courage! Chennai man risks life to save a woman from being raped