Vernon Philander eyeing Steyn’s record of fastest 100 wickets by SA bowler
Johannesburg: South African fast bowler Vernon Philander is set to surpass his teammate Dale Steyn’s record as the fastest Proteas bowler to take 100 wickets following yet another five-wicket haul in the ongoing Tests against Pakistan.
The seamer, who added three wickets on day two of the second Test against Pakistan to his tally of two the previous day, is on the way to eclipse Steyn’s record of 100 Test wickets in his 20th appearance, in a match against Bangladesh in 2008.
Philander has taken as many as 26 wickets in more than three Tests since making his debut last season in his home ground, the report added.
Philander has thus stretched his overall bundle of wickets to 83 at an average of 17.14 in his 15th Test appearance for the world’s No 1-ranked side.
Of currently active Test cricketers, Pakistan’s off-spinner Saeed Ajmal (playing in the ongoing Newlands Test) is fastest to 100 wickets: he got there in his 19th Test, against England at Abu Dhabi in January 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Letter to Arvind Kejriwal - `Don't embarrass India again, buy yourself a pair of shoes`
- When a professor sexually abused a girl in classroom; watch other students' reaction
- Indian woman rescued from German refugee camp returns home, thanks government
- Signs that prove Lord Hanuman is still alive
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi