Vernon Philander eyeing Steyn’s record of fastest 100 wickets by SA bowler
Johannesburg: South African fast bowler Vernon Philander is set to surpass his teammate Dale Steyn’s record as the fastest Proteas bowler to take 100 wickets following yet another five-wicket haul in the ongoing Tests against Pakistan.
The seamer, who added three wickets on day two of the second Test against Pakistan to his tally of two the previous day, is on the way to eclipse Steyn’s record of 100 Test wickets in his 20th appearance, in a match against Bangladesh in 2008.
Philander has taken as many as 26 wickets in more than three Tests since making his debut last season in his home ground, the report added.
Philander has thus stretched his overall bundle of wickets to 83 at an average of 17.14 in his 15th Test appearance for the world’s No 1-ranked side.
Of currently active Test cricketers, Pakistan’s off-spinner Saeed Ajmal (playing in the ongoing Newlands Test) is fastest to 100 wickets: he got there in his 19th Test, against England at Abu Dhabi in January 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- LIVE: Jayalalithaa's condition critical after suffering cardiac arrest, huge crowd gathers outside Apollo hospital
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender