Vettori and Patel apologise for drinking night
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Dunedin: New Zealand`s ex-captain Daniel Vettori and spinner Jetan Patel issued an apology on March 07 after it was revealed that Patel`s inability to take the field against England in a warm-up Test match last was attributed to an injury suffered due to a night of heavy drinking by the Kiwi duo.
New Zealand Cricket (NZC) deemed the behaviour "completely unacceptable" and explained the Queenstown incident in an official statement.
"NZC understands that Jeetan Patel was refused entry to a bar in Queenstown," the statement went, "He subsequently fell and hit his head. Patel returned to the team hotel, felt unwell and took himself to A and E (the accident and emergency ward)."
The bowler who was part of the New Zealand XI`s warm-up squad missed the second day`s proceedings and the word from the team management was that he was "unwell". Vettori wasn`t even in the team as he looks to recover from a leg injury.
"My behaviour was completely unprofessional in going out and I should have spent time with Jeetan in another way," said Vettori, "I would like to apologise to the NZ Cricket medical team who I was there to work with and to anyone else who is disappointed in my behaviour."
Jeetan also apologised, adding that it was "totally inappropriate for me to be out drinking during a match where I was representing my country".
With inputs from agencies
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof