Vettori eager to return to action after six month injury run
Wellington: Former Kiwis’ skipper Daniel Vettori is close to returning to action for the first time in six months after succumbing to a long-term nagging Achilles tendon injury.
For more than a month, Vettori has been able to bowl and bat in the nets but only in the past week has he been able to run relatively freely.
He said he wants to get back on to the park and get a chance to try and prove his form as well as his fitness. The 34-year-old had last month targeted Northern Districts` Ford Trophy match, against the Auckland Aces at Eden Park`s Outer Oval on Sunday, as a possible return to domestic cricket, but said that may be too soon. An appearance against the Wellington Firebirds at the Basin Reserve next Wednesday may be more realistic.
The veteran of 111 tests for New Zealand admitted he had thought about his international future while rehabilitating.
If fit, Vettori will join his Royal Challengers Bangalore side next month for the Indian Premier League. He should be back from there into the New Zealand side for the two test matches in England in May, after missing overseas trips to India, Sri Lanka and South Africa because of his injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!