Vijay`s unbeaten ton puts ROI in command
Bangalore: Opener Murali Vijay`s unbeaten knock of 151 ensured a crucial 75-run first-innings lead for Rest of India on Day 2 of their Irani Trophy match against Rajasthan here today.
Rest of India were 328 for two at stumps, with Vijay and S Badrinath (1 not out) at the crease, at the Chinnaswamy stadium.
Rajasthan were all out for 253 on the first day.
Vijay hit 18 fours and five sixes during his 257-ball innings, which turned out to be his tenth first-class century.
Ajinkya Rahane and Cheteshwar Pujara contributed 81 and 78 respectively, and both were involved in big century stands with the Tamil Nadu opener.
After adding 173 runs for the first wicket with Rahane, Vijay was joined by Pujara, and the two raised 153 runs for the third wicket to put their team in a commanding position, a day after the bowlers set it up with Umesh Yadav leading the way with a five-for.
Vijay notched up his century by ambling across for a single off Madhur Khatri, a fleeting moment after hitting him out of the park for a maximum.
Out of the Indian team, Vijay used the opportunity with a well-stitched innings, that should force the selectors to take note.
Just before the close of play, Vijay reached 150 after he pushed Khatri for a single to long off.
The first-wicket partnership was broken when Rahane, who reached 5,000 runs in first-class cricket, was run out after facing 143 balls. His knock was studded with twelve hits to the fence.
The second wicket fell in the form of Pujara, who was snapped up by Dishant Yagnik off Aniket Choudhary for a well-made 78 off 140 balls, and laced with eleven boundaries and a six.
Earlier, the Saurashtra player survived a scare on 57
when he was dropped in the slips.
On a pitch that has a tinge of grass but no real assistance for the bowlers, Rajasthan were sent on a leather-hunt by ROI batsmen. That the Ranji champions failed to utilise the early morning conditions, only made their task difficult.
Rajasthan missed strike bowler Pankaj Singh, who had taken 77 wickets since 2010-2011. The absence of Ashok Menaria and Rituraj Singh -- both doing duty for the India `A` team in New Zealand -- was also felt.
They were further jolted when pacer Deepak Chahar walked off the field due to an injury in the post-tea session.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi