Virat Kohli appointed BSF ambassador
New Delhi: Young Indian cricketer Virat Kohli was on Sunday appointed as the brand ambassador of the BSF, world`s largest border guarding force.
Kohli was today presented a Border Security Force blazer and a flop-hat by Union Minister of State for Home RPN Singh and force chief Subhash Joshi at a glittering ceremony at the paramilitary`s camp in the national capital.
A beaming Kohli said this was a moment of "great pride" and that he is filled with the feeling of patriotism as he joins the ranks of the 2.2-lakh personnel strong force, also the country`s second largest security force after CRPF.
"I will travel to meet BSF personnel on the borders and help in as many ways I can to motivate them and boost their morale," the 25-year-old said.
Kohli had his share of cheeky moments with the jawans and officers of the force right after the gala event as he was asked questions about his marriage, his nickname `chiku` and the dream to captain team India.
MoS Singh said the appeal of Kohli will be used to attract more and more youngsters to the force which at present is tasked to guard Indian frontiers with Pakistan and Bangladesh besides rendering a variety of internal security duties including undertaking anti-Naxal operations.
"We are in the process of giving him (Kohli) a honorary rank and a uniform of the force," Singh said adding Kohli will spread the word about the hardwork of the troops of the force who do not get "enough credit".
BSF Director General Joshi, announcing the maiden initiative of a paramilitary force appointing an ambassador said, the right-hand batsmen is synonymous with discipline, dedication and professionalism which is a hallmark of his force too.
The cricketer had made his Test debut against the West Indies in 2011 and is going strong since then. He played a vital role in India`s World Cup win in 2011 and the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy title.
The BSF works under the command of the Ministry of Home Affairs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video