Virender Sehwag hits century to guide MCC to a six-wicket win
Abu Dhabi: India discard Virender Sehwag blasted a 97-ball 109 to lead Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) to a comfortable six-wicket win over Durham in a Champion County Test match at the Sheikh Zayed Stadium here on Wednesday.
The 35-year-old Delhi batsman smashed 18 boundaries and a six in his 97-ball innings to help MCC overhaul the victory target of 225 in 51 overs on the fourth and final day.
Out of the national side for more than a year, Sehwag played a captain`s knock as he added 105 runs with Samit Patel (48 not out)of Nottinghamshire for the fourth-wicket.
Sehwag was finally dismissed by Jamie Harrison in the 49th over of MCC`s second innings.
Resuming the MCC`s second innings at overnight 48/2, Sehwag blasted three fours in the opening over of the first session from seamer Harrison to give his team a good start in the day.
The inexperienced Durham attack failed to tame Sehwag as he completed his half-century in 47 deliveries with the help of eight boundaries and then by lunch, he was only five runs short of the three-figure mark.
Sehwag brought up his hundred shortly after the lunch break with a boundary off Harrison. He took 88 balls to reach his century.
Harrison, however, had the last laugh as he had the Indian caught by Paul Coughlin.
Electing to bat, Durham had scored 248 in their first innings but MCC replied strongly with 282. In their second innings, Durham were dismissed for 257, leaving MCC with a target of 224.
MCC finished the third day at 48 for two in 20 overs with Sehwag on nine and DJ Bell-Drummond on 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof