Virender Sehwag is most exciting batsmen I`ve seen: Jeffrey Archer
New Delhi: Noted British writer Lord Jeffrey Archer is in awe of the way Virender Sehwag bats and considers him as the most exciting batsman ever other than the West Indies legend Sir Viv Richards.
A close follower of Indian cricket, he says it`s a treat to watch Sehwag plundering runs and punishing bowlers.
"Sehwag is probably the most exciting batsman other than Viv Richards that I have seen in my life," Archer told.
On Sehwag`s exclusion from the Test team, Archer, who is in India on a multi-city tour for the special launch of the third book of his popular "The Clifton Chronicles", says it`s a very "interesting" decision.
"He was dropped...Which is a very interesting decision. He is very up and down. He is very mercurial. He can be his own man."
The playwright feels that Indian cricket is too much influenced by Twenty20 cricket, by the IPL and too much of money is involved.
"Cricket is a Test match with V V S Laxman and Rahul Dravid fighting all day to save the game. I was shocked to see so less people in the stadium (during the Mohali Test). The ground was empty. It is unbelievable. When it`s a T20 match it`s absolutely packed," he said.
Archer, who admires late Mansur Ali Khan Pataudi, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid and Anil Kumble, said, "The Nawab of Pataudi was a friend. We were at Oxford together. I am a great admirer of his.
"Rahul Dravid is such a stylist batsman. Anil Kumble is a great captain and behaved with such dignity over the Ponting-Harbhajan thing. And of course, the great Sachin is the great Sachin."
Indian cricketers have often drawn praises from Archer, who describe them as the best ambassadors of the sport in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India