Virender Sehwag may quit T20Is to focus on Tests and ODIs
Zeenews Sports Bureau
New Delhi: Out of form Virender Sehwag is reported to have told the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) not to consider him for the T20 Internationals.
A senior BCCI official had told Mail Today that the destructive Delhi opener had shown reluctance in playing the shortest format of the game. He would rather like to concentrate more on Test cricket and ODIs.
"He has informed the board that he doesn`t want to play T20 Internationals anymore and would like to concentrate on the longer versions. He cited fitness and the rigours of T20 cricket as the reason behind his decision," the paper has quoted the official as saying.
"He is experienced enough to realise the needs of the team and he isn`t someone who would question the decision of the team management. Only a self-centred player would do that," he added.
When T20 came into existence it was thought that Sehwag, a destructive batsman, would excel in this format. But he flattered to deceive in the format.
In 19 T20 International matches for India, Sehwag made just 394 runs at an average of 21.88.
He also failed to fire in the recently concluded World T20, prompting many a critics calling for his ouster from the team.
Sehwag, meanwhile, will continue to play for the Delhi Daredevils in the Indian Premier League.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO