‘Virtual Eye’ maker owns up fault in wrong dismissal of Taylor against Proteas
Wellington: Ian Taylor, creator of Virtual Eye technology used in cricket for the decision review system (DRS), has admitted fault in Ross Taylor’s leg before dismissal against South Africa during the second Test match at Hamilton on Friday.
The Board of Cricket Control in India (BCCI) and the Indian players have consistently opposed the use of DRS due to its inconsistent performance, and now Taylor’s confession of a faulty decision by Virtual Eye, is expected to spur debate on the use of DRS among the cricketing fraternity.
A review of the ball tracking of Taylor`s leg before wicket dismissal for 17 by Dale Steyn later showed it marginally clipping leg stump, not hitting between middle and leg as third umpire Aleem Dar was shown in replays.
Taylor made an unsuccessful DRS challenge against umpire Richard Kettleborough’s decision. The New Zealand management were believed to have immediately gone to the DRS truck to seek an explanation and to view the footage.
Ian Taylor has now admitted it “didn`t look right”, but believes the problem transpired from the fading light and shadows being cast across the pitch, which interfered with the ball tracking.
After another 30 minutes of checking the data, the new reading was given that showed the ball clipping the outside of leg stump.
It wouldn’t have been enough to overturn the original decision, but showed minor flaws with the system
Now Taylor has called for the International Cricket Council to fund the DRS, which would enable eight high-speed cameras to be used rather than four, and he wanted the third umpire to use his discretion, rather than relying solely on the ball tracking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened