Viv Richards to team up with Warne as Melbourne mentor in Big Bash
Melbourne: West Indian batting legend, Vivian Richards is set to team up with spin great Shane Warne as Melbourne Stars team mentor in the Australian Big Bash Twenty20 League this season, according to a report.
Richards, one of the most destructive batsmen of all time, was approached by Melbourne captain Warne to join the MCG-based team`s support staff as he will be in Australia to commentate when the Caribbean team tours in January and February for an ODI series.
Warne asked Richards if he was interested to come to Australia a bit early to be there at the time when Big Bash starts in December.
A Melbourne Stars spokesperson said the deal could be a massive marketing and promotional coup.
"We`re in conversations with Viv and his management about him joining the Melbourne Stars team as a mentor. If we`re able to secure his services, he`d be an absolute asset for our team," the spokesperson was quoted as saying by a leading Australian daily.
The Antiguan legend, 60, thrilled Australian audiences through the 1970s and 80s as a lynchpin of the swashbuckling world champion West Indies team. He scored 8,450 Test runs in a glittering career from 1974 to 1991.
Richards would add to an already big-name Melbourne Stars staff, with Ian Chappell on board as selection chairman.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional