I never said Laxman does not enjoy Dhoni`s support: Ganguly
New Delhi: Former India skipper Sourav Ganguly today clarified that he never suggested through his comments that VVS Laxman does not enjoy captain Mahendra Singh Dhoni`s support.
Laxman stunned cricket fraternity yesterday by announcing his sudden retirement. The timing of Laxman`s retirement shocked many as he was picked in the squad for the upcoming two-Test series against New Zealand.
Ganguly was quoted as saying in media that had Laxman enjoyed support of his skipper Dhoni, situation could have been different for him.
However, Ganguly today said, he did not mean what media suggested of his comments.
"I would like to place on record that part of my comment on VVS Laxman`s efforts to get in touch with skipper MS Dhoni was misconstrued. What I did say was, `In cricket at times you need to be available 24x7 as a captain`. It no way implied that Laxman doesn`t enjoy his skipper`s support or suggest that the situation would have been different (for Laxman) had he enjoyed the skipper`s support," Ganguly said.
Ganguly had also lashed out at the selectors, especially chief selector K Srikkanth for the communication gap between them and the players.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal