WADA adds cortisone to monitoring programme
Mumbai: The World Anti-Doping Agency has added out-of-competition use of glucocorticosteroids, that include powerful anti-inflammatory medication cortisone, often taken as injection by injured cricketers, to its Monitoring Programme, along with nicotine.
Nicotine is one of several stimulants added to the Monitoring Programne along with the narcotics hydrocone and tramadol and out-of-competition use of glucocorticosteroids, WADA said in a media release from Montreal, Canada.
WADA has placed nicotine on its 2012 Monitoring Programme in order to detect potential patterns of abuse, though it said it was not the anti-doping agency`s intention to target smokers.
It has been done to monitor the effects nicotine can have on performance when taken in oral tobacco products such as snus, WADA said about the decision taken by its Executive Committee earlier this month.
Under Article 4.5 of the WADA Code, the agency is mandated to establish a Monitoring Programme regarding substances which are not on the list of banned substances and methods, but which WADA wishes to monitor for detecting potential patterns of misuse.
WADA has removed Formoteral, a drug used in the management of asthma and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), from its list of banned substances when inhaled at therapeutic dosages.
Taking into account recent research results and requests by members of the sports community, inhaled formoterol at therapeutic doses is no longer prohibited, the release said.
The WADA List prohibits the administration of all beta-2 agonists except salbutamol (maximum 1600 micrograms over 24 hours), salmeterol - when taken by inhalation - and now formoterol (maximum 36 micrograms taken over 24 hours), it explained.
The issue of beta-2 agonists will continue to be a focus of WADA`s research activity in order to ensure that the administration of large doses or by systemic routes of these substances is prevented and prohibited, but that the appropriate care and treatment of asthmatic athletes is facilitated, WADA said.
Sailing and wrestling have also been removed from the list of sports, along with bobsleigh and skeleton, curling, modern pentathlon and motorcycling, that were included in the List in which beta-blockers are prohibited.
The new List of Prohibited Substances and Methods would come into force on January 1, 2012, the release added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow