Wahab declines Big Bash offer to focus on national duty
Karachi: Pakistani pace bowler Wahab Riaz seems to be thronged with offers from various quarters following an impressive county season, but he has set national recall as his priority.
Riaz recently turned down an offer to play this year`s Big Bash in Australia, which will see many Pakistan stars taking part, including former captain Shahid Afridi.
However, the left-armer, who has been rested for the Zimbabwe series by the selectors, declined the Big Bash offer since he has been focusing on Pakistan`s upcoming series against Sri Lanka and England.
"I was asked to play in the Big Bash but I refused," The Express Tribune quoted Riaz, as saying.
"It`s a good tournament, but I`m targeting the important series against England and Sri Lanka," he added.
Riaz added that there was a gap where he could play in the Big Bash, but did not want to risk suffering an injury.
"There`s a small gap but I`ve decided to avoid extra workload and just concentrate on playing for Pakistan," he maintained.
However, the fast-bowler said he has accepted Kent`s offer to play for the side for a longer period. His performance with Kent, where he claimed 20 wickets in the recently-concluded Friends Life T20, earned him a long-term offer from the county side.
"The agreement is that whenever I`m free from national commitments, I will be available for them."
The fast bowler, who made his Test debut last year, said that the county experience would be a huge boost to his career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India