Wahab declines Big Bash offer to focus on national duty
Karachi: Pakistani pace bowler Wahab Riaz seems to be thronged with offers from various quarters following an impressive county season, but he has set national recall as his priority.
Riaz recently turned down an offer to play this year`s Big Bash in Australia, which will see many Pakistan stars taking part, including former captain Shahid Afridi.
However, the left-armer, who has been rested for the Zimbabwe series by the selectors, declined the Big Bash offer since he has been focusing on Pakistan`s upcoming series against Sri Lanka and England.
"I was asked to play in the Big Bash but I refused," The Express Tribune quoted Riaz, as saying.
"It`s a good tournament, but I`m targeting the important series against England and Sri Lanka," he added.
Riaz added that there was a gap where he could play in the Big Bash, but did not want to risk suffering an injury.
"There`s a small gap but I`ve decided to avoid extra workload and just concentrate on playing for Pakistan," he maintained.
However, the fast-bowler said he has accepted Kent`s offer to play for the side for a longer period. His performance with Kent, where he claimed 20 wickets in the recently-concluded Friends Life T20, earned him a long-term offer from the county side.
"The agreement is that whenever I`m free from national commitments, I will be available for them."
The fast bowler, who made his Test debut last year, said that the county experience would be a huge boost to his career.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- PM Narendra Modi ropes in Nandan Nilekani to boost process of digital payments post demonetisation