Waqar tipped to take over as High Performance Director of NCA
Karachi: Former Pakistan captain Waqar Younis is being tipped to take over as High Performance Director of the country`s National Cricket Academy very soon.
Sources in the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) confirmed that board chairman Zaka Ashraf was keen to utilise the expertise of Waqar.
"Informal discussions have been held on this subject when Waqar recently came down to Lahore to attend a meeting on how to improve domestic cricket and the productivity of the National Cricket Academy," one source said.
"In all likelihood Waqar will be given the role of High Performance Director at the National Cricket Academy and some other additional responsibilities," the source said.
Waqar was the head coach of Pakistan cricket team in 2010 and 2011 before resigning in September last year due to health and personal reasons.
"The chairman is impressed by Waqar`s background as a former player, captain and coach and feels he can contribute a lot to the efforts to modernise and introduce specialisation in Pakistan cricket at the domestic level," the source stated.
"The fact that Waqar now has experience of having coached an international team and also worked in Australian cricket has convinced Ashraf he is the right man to be the High Performance Director at the academy," he said.
The source pointed out that as part of the modernisation efforts the board was also installing biomechanics laboratory at the NCA.
"That is also one reason why Waqar is being considered for the post," the source stated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IPL 2016: Sunrisers Hyderabad's mentor Muttiah Muralitharan highly impressed with Bangladeshi pacer Mustafizur Rahman
- I am neither a borrower or a judgement debtor, says Vijay Mallya
- Secret Jaish-e-Muhammad training camp involved in Pathankot airbase attack traced
- China stripped America, made money and rebuilt itself: Donald Trump
- Google acquires start-up founded by Indian-origin entrepreneur Varun Malhotra