Waqar Younis, Muttiah Muralitharan to train Bengal youngsters
Kolkata: Pakistani fast-bowling legend Waqar Younis and retired Sri Lankan spin wizard Muttiah Muralitharan were today appointed as bowling consultants for a Cricket Association of Bengal coaching programme beginning March 15 for a three-year contract.
Brainchild of former India skipper Sourav Ganguly, the iconic duo will spend at least 30 days with a pool of Bengal youngsters for a development programme aimed at creating supply line for the senior team. Their contract amount is believed to be the tune of Rs 60 lakh each per season.
"It`ll be a simple cricket coaching with Waqar and Murali and no rocket science," Ganguly told reporters after the plan was ratified at CAB`s working committee meeting today.
In the first phase of the programme, Younis and Muralitharan will coach 200 players to be hand-picked from CAB affiliated clubs and the trainees will also include senior Bengal players if available.
"They will be picked from a screening camp. The first phase from March 15 will consist of 200 players," Ganguly, who is also the coaching committee chairman of the CAB, added.
94 clubs will nominate one pacer and one spinner, making it a total of 188 while the remaining 12 will be U-19 players from second division clubs.
"It`s difficult but you have to give fair chance to everybody. It will be for 30-40 days under Waqar and Murali but local coaches will take the camp throughout the year," he said.
There have been foreigners as coaches in the Ranji Trophy teams, including Intikhab Alam for Punjab and more recently Michael Bevan for Odisha but rarely has any state development programme in India seen such high profile appointments.
Younis and Muralitharan will be assisted by Ranadeb Bose as assistant coach in the pace department, while the CAB is yet to finalise the assistant in the spin department.
"Everything has been passed. There`s a confusion about who will be (assistant) spin coach, let`s see," Ganguly added.
Ganguly, who will be chief consultant of the batting pool, said, "Batting clinic will be held separately, first let this take place. I will be there, so we can do it at an appropriate time."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Doctor found dead in RML hospital's parking lot
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security