Warne condemns Steve Waugh
Sydney: Australian spin legend Shane Warne has attacked former captain Steve Waugh for forcing all players in his team to wear the iconic Australian `baggy green` Test cap at the start of the opposition innings.
According to News.com.au, Warne`s criticism came just three days after he ironically presented Australia`s latest Test debutant James Faulkner with his baggy green cap on the first morning of the last and fifth Ashes Test at The Oval.
The report further said that the discussion came into the fore when Australian captain Michael Clarke and fast bowler Peter Siddle wore their white floppy hats at the beginning of the third day.
Venting his criticism of Waugh on Twitter for his love for the baggy green, Warne ridiculed Waugh`s stance and labelled it `silly`, saying that even though he told Waugh that he was more comfortable wearing the white floppy cap, Waugh adamantly refused and forced him and every other player to wear the baggy green during the first hour.
According to Warne, a player does not need to wear the baggy green be proud to play for Australia, adding that he used to sulk at first slip for the first hour while wearing the baggy green cap.
The former world wicket record holder also said that even when former Australian tennis player Patrick Rafter reached the finals at the Wimbledon once, Waugh wanted his men to wear the green baggy caps to the stadium to watch Rafter play, adding that few players including Justin Langer followed Waugh`s order.
However, Warne was widely condemned on Twitter for his comments, with a tweet calling his comments as `lacking class`, and saying that sometimes a player has to follow the captain`s orders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what