Warne condemns Steve Waugh
Sydney: Australian spin legend Shane Warne has attacked former captain Steve Waugh for forcing all players in his team to wear the iconic Australian `baggy green` Test cap at the start of the opposition innings.
According to News.com.au, Warne`s criticism came just three days after he ironically presented Australia`s latest Test debutant James Faulkner with his baggy green cap on the first morning of the last and fifth Ashes Test at The Oval.
The report further said that the discussion came into the fore when Australian captain Michael Clarke and fast bowler Peter Siddle wore their white floppy hats at the beginning of the third day.
Venting his criticism of Waugh on Twitter for his love for the baggy green, Warne ridiculed Waugh`s stance and labelled it `silly`, saying that even though he told Waugh that he was more comfortable wearing the white floppy cap, Waugh adamantly refused and forced him and every other player to wear the baggy green during the first hour.
According to Warne, a player does not need to wear the baggy green be proud to play for Australia, adding that he used to sulk at first slip for the first hour while wearing the baggy green cap.
The former world wicket record holder also said that even when former Australian tennis player Patrick Rafter reached the finals at the Wimbledon once, Waugh wanted his men to wear the green baggy caps to the stadium to watch Rafter play, adding that few players including Justin Langer followed Waugh`s order.
However, Warne was widely condemned on Twitter for his comments, with a tweet calling his comments as `lacking class`, and saying that sometimes a player has to follow the captain`s orders.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Delhi government bans Chinese firecrackers for this Diwali