Warne returns to play full season in Big Bash T20
Melbourne: Cricket great Shane Warne will make his return from a short-lived retirement after signing for the full season with the Melbourne Stars in Australia`s revamped Big Bash League Twenty20 tournament.
Warne told a media conference Tuesday that once he decided to make his comeback in the Big Bash, he was determined play the full season rather than a token one or two appearances.
The leg spinner`s first game will be against the Sydney Thunder at the MCG on Dec. 17.
The 42-year-old Warne had retired from top-class cricket in May after the Rajasthan Royals` last game of the 2011 Indian Premier League. He played his last Test for Australia in 2007, finishing with a then-world record 708 Test wickets.
Warne, who will combine his playing commitments with a broadcaster as a television commentator, said the Big Bash could be played alongside this summer`s Test series against India without being detrimental to either format of the game.
"I don`t see a conflict in that at all," he said.
Warne said one of his main reasons for making a comeback was so that his three children, now aged 14, 12 and 10, would get a better appreciation of what he did for a living.
And it was "an added bonus" that his partner, British actress Liz Hurley, would get to see him play at the MCG.
Warne has not ruled out extending his contract with the Stars beyond one season if everything went well in the 2011-12 campaign.
"I`m a young 42 at the moment, so I`ll see how it goes this year," he said. "This is something fresh, this is something new and we`re all learning straight away. Let`s see how it goes this year and we`ll take it from there."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog