Warne scoffs at Oz T20 captain Bailey during BBL match
Sydney: Legendary leg spinner Shane Warne taunted Australia Twenty20 captain George Bailey during Melbourne Stars clash with Hobart Hurricanes in the Big Bash League on Saturday.
Warne’s pointed critique of Bailey was different to his usual barbs because, rather than drawing on the rich tradition of bowlers trying to mess with batsmen`s minds, this sledge was made for television.
“You would think the Australian Twenty20 captain would smack me out of the park, wouldn`t you, rather than keep nicking me?” the Age quoted a miked-up Warne, as saying after Cameron White had dropped Bailey for a second time at slip off his bowling.
Bailey, leading the Hobart Hurricanes against Warne`s Melbourne Stars, didn`t know he had been publicly scoffed at by his former Stars teammate until after the match.
Asked if he felt he deserved more respect, Bailey deferred to the great leg-spinner, whose supreme self-belief is given daily oxygen by the Big Bash League publicity machine.
“Dunno, is it disrespectful? Until I actually see it, I don`t think I`ll get into a war of words with Warnie if that`s all right,” Bailey said Bailey. “I think he`s still the world`s greatest leg-spinner, isn`t he? Who`s going to have a Test comeback at the age of 44 or whatever he is? [Warne is 43].
So he needs a bit of respect,” he added. Warne brought White into the attack to take his mind off the dropped catches and the Victorian captain had Bailey caught in the deep.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM