Warner says ‘aware of need to score big to cement Oz Test spot’
Sydney: Under pressure Australia opener David Warner has said he is aware he needs to score big hundreds to cement his spot in the national team following a poor performance against South Africa in the first Test match at Gabba, Brisbane.
Warner’s one modest Sheffield Shield match appears to have left him underdone going into this battle for the Test crown, and with Ed Cowan scoring his first Test century in Brisbane to cement his spot into the foreseeable future, he knows he needs runs.
Since his amazing 180 against India in Perth early this year, his second superb century in his first five Tests, Warner has managed just one half century in his next five Tests, averaging 23.
“I have to try and be consistent and get those big hundreds. My job is to try and get us off to a good start. If Ed and I can get off to a good start it holds good for the rest of the middle order as well,” News.com.au quoted Warner, as saying.
“It is how you react to the conditions in Test cricket, prepare mentally, and see where and how I will score. If I am putting my pressure on them I know I am doing my job instead of sitting there and reacting. I am winning the battle then,” he added.
“If I am playing my shots I have to keep going and not fend at anything outside off. Hit the ball into the gaps, that is my game and I will try and do it,” he said.
Warner added: I`ve relaxed and cleared my mind. It`s good to get a break, good to go home and do a few things and be normal in a way. The last 12 months has been pretty hectic. I feel good, I`m fresh, and I’m ready to go.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore