Warner to replace injured Marsh in 2nd Test
Johannesburg: David Warner will replace the injured Shaun Marsh in the Australian squad for the second and final Test against South Africa, Cricket Australia (CA) said on Sunday.
Marsh hurt his back in the manic Cape Town Test where Australia were shot out for 47 in their second innings before being subjected to an eight-wicket thumping.
Marsh could not field on the second day because of the injury and batted at number 10 position, instead of number three, for a two-ball duck in their second innings.
"David has been in tremendous form for New South Wales in all forms of the game... We are certain that should the opportunity present itself he will be ready to perform at Test level," national selection panel chief Andrew Hilditch said in a statement.
Twenty five-year-old Warner has played 10 one day internationals and will hope to make his Test debut in the Johannesburg match starting on Thursday.
Marsh would return to Australia, team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said.
"He was in considerable pain and was obviously restricted while batting in the second innings," he said.
"He is slowly improving but will return to Australia for further investigation and treatment as he will not recover in time to play the second Test in Johannesburg."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands
- Tripura CM Manik Sarkar appeals to people to maintain peace, harmony
- SC rejects review petition of Telangana for division of assets
- VIDEO! Lionel Messi wins UEFA 'Goal of the Season' award for scoring this beauty
- Katrina Kaif, Sidharth Malhotra's mushy love in 'Baar Baar Dekho' new still is just so aww!
- Bodo outfits to restart statehood movement on August 30