Warner to replace injured Marsh in 2nd Test
Johannesburg: David Warner will replace the injured Shaun Marsh in the Australian squad for the second and final Test against South Africa, Cricket Australia (CA) said on Sunday.
Marsh hurt his back in the manic Cape Town Test where Australia were shot out for 47 in their second innings before being subjected to an eight-wicket thumping.
Marsh could not field on the second day because of the injury and batted at number 10 position, instead of number three, for a two-ball duck in their second innings.
"David has been in tremendous form for New South Wales in all forms of the game... We are certain that should the opportunity present itself he will be ready to perform at Test level," national selection panel chief Andrew Hilditch said in a statement.
Twenty five-year-old Warner has played 10 one day internationals and will hope to make his Test debut in the Johannesburg match starting on Thursday.
Marsh would return to Australia, team physiotherapist Alex Kountouris said.
"He was in considerable pain and was obviously restricted while batting in the second innings," he said.
"He is slowly improving but will return to Australia for further investigation and treatment as he will not recover in time to play the second Test in Johannesburg."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more
- Major water crisis in Chandigarh, Mohali and Panchkula - Know reason behind it