Warner’s time for higher honours has come, says NSW coach
Sydney: David Warner’s scoring two consecutive tons in the ongoing Champions League in India has convinced New South Wales coach Anthony Stuart that the left-hander is on course for higher honours.
“Warner has been desperate to prove his skills just through sheer weight of runs,`` a leading daily quoted Stuart, as saying from Bangalore.
``Now he`s in the Aussie one-day squad and is playing four-day cricket opening the batting for NSW, so he`s making great strides. He`s just got to keep scoring runs and his chance will come. Davey finished the year really well in four-day cricket last year. He scored a double hundred in a Futures League game and was opening the batting in the Sheffield Shield side last season,” said Stuart.
``He`s played some amazing innings and is a freakishly talented player, but at this point Hughesy`s [Phillip Hughes] got his opportunity with a hundred in the last Test, Watto`s [Shane Watson] the incumbent Test opener and there`s other good players around the country. When Dave gets his opportunity in four-day cricket with us, he`s just got to take it, so, if and when the higher opportunity comes, he`s the first guy they think of,`` Stuart added.
Warner is mounting a serious challenge to Blues teammate Usman Khawaja for the spare batsman`s berth for the upcoming Test series against South Africa.
His ability to switch from left-handed to right-handed was one of the most eye-catching aspects of his big knocks of the past week. But Stuart, who has known Warner since they were both at Eastern Suburbs about a decade ago, wasn`t surprised.
``When I was playing my last year at Easts, we brought Dave into first grade and even then I remember he was almost as a good a right-hand batsman as left,```` Stuart said. ``That`s something pretty special from a 15 or 16-year-old kid. What he`s done here is no accident.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre