Was ECB right in sacking Andy Flower after failure in one series?
Zee Media Bureau/ Suyash Srivastava
New Delhi: Undoubtedly, England have had a pathetic stay in Australia so far. After being thrashed 5-0 in the Test series, the Poms also lost the ODI series. But even though speculations were rife, it was surprising to see the England Cricket Board (ECB) sacking Andy Flower as the team director.
While someone had to bear the wrath of the selectors, the question is whether it was a right move to remove the Zimbabwean after the team failed to perform on one particular tour.
Flower was appointed as the England team director in 2009 from where he led them to No. 1 rank in all three formats. Flower brought more accolades to the team, as England won three consecutive Ashes series and the World Twenty20 during his tenure.
Skipper Alastair Cook had recently said that he would take a decision regarding his captaincy by the end of the series and England would probably have to make a fresh start if the left-hander too gives up on the captaincy.
Meanwhile, there were reports of Flower being unhappy with Kevin Pietersen`s attitude and had presented a `him or me` scenario before the selectors. While one is not sure whether the selectors went on to back their swashbuckling right-hander, Flower certainly had to pay for England`s miserable Australian tour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack