Wasim Akram cautions against over-coaching national team
Karachi: As Pakistan continues its search for a batting coach, former captain Wasim Akram has cautioned against over coaching when it comes to the national team.
"Whoever is coaching Pakistan should tell them - meetings should be 15 minutes because if you let it run for 16 minutes they`ll forget the first 15. These details are important," a daily quoted Akram, as saying.
Akram emphasized that quick thinking and reacting instinctively in cricket is better, especially for a team like Pakistan.
"Different areas have different mentalities, the sub continent, England, South Africa, Australia wherever. The less we think the better it is for us as it gives us less time to clutter our heads, so you have to be straight forward," he said.
Akram said that a lack of confidence among the players was the main problem, adding that the talent is present and just needs to be utilized properly.
"Pakistan need a batting coach to teach these young kids the fundamentals of batting. You used to see batsmen going onto their front foot to hit their shots, when you see Pakistani players they don`t do that.
“They don`t seem to have the confidence to come out," he said.
"I look at the batsmen like a bowler: `how can I get them, where are their weaknesses`, and see someone like Mohammad Hafeez, who isn`t a front foot player, as a target. What they need is confidence, the talent is there," the 46-year old said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video