Wasim Akram cautions against over-coaching national team
Karachi: As Pakistan continues its search for a batting coach, former captain Wasim Akram has cautioned against over coaching when it comes to the national team.
"Whoever is coaching Pakistan should tell them - meetings should be 15 minutes because if you let it run for 16 minutes they`ll forget the first 15. These details are important," a daily quoted Akram, as saying.
Akram emphasized that quick thinking and reacting instinctively in cricket is better, especially for a team like Pakistan.
"Different areas have different mentalities, the sub continent, England, South Africa, Australia wherever. The less we think the better it is for us as it gives us less time to clutter our heads, so you have to be straight forward," he said.
Akram said that a lack of confidence among the players was the main problem, adding that the talent is present and just needs to be utilized properly.
"Pakistan need a batting coach to teach these young kids the fundamentals of batting. You used to see batsmen going onto their front foot to hit their shots, when you see Pakistani players they don`t do that.
“They don`t seem to have the confidence to come out," he said.
"I look at the batsmen like a bowler: `how can I get them, where are their weaknesses`, and see someone like Mohammad Hafeez, who isn`t a front foot player, as a target. What they need is confidence, the talent is there," the 46-year old said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...