Wasim Akram in favour of resumption of Indo-Pak cricket ties
Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram has said that he is in favour of resuming bilateral cricket ties with India.
Karachi: Former Pakistan captain Wasim Akram has said that he is in favour of resuming bilateral cricket ties with India.
Akram told the media here today that regardless of the political situation between the two countries it was necessary to have normal sporting ties.
Asked about the recent statement by former Indian captain Sourav Ganguly, who had said that India should not play cricket with Pakistan until the situation improves between the two countries, Akram said he thought differently.
"I believe that sports and politics should be kept apart and no matter what happens on the political front between India and cricket, cricket should be played," he said.
Akram pointed out that when he captained Pakistan to the full tour of India in 1999 the relations between the two countries were very tense.
"It was a tour where there was a lot of security around us and we mostly stayed inside the hotels. But we still continued playing cricket and it was a successful tour. I believe that bilateral Indo-Pak cricket ties must not stop," he stated.
Akram said he was a regular visitor to India and his observation was that people wants to see both nations play cricket against each other.
"The cricket ties will eventually help in the bigger picture."
The chairman of the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB), Shaharyar Khan told a television channel today that as far as Pakistan was concerned the planned series with India in December was still on.
"The series is still on and we are even willing to play the series in the UAE. I think a clear picture and decision will come in two months time regarding whether the series will be held in December," Khan added.
The Indian Cricket Board (BCCI) has given a cold response to play the series in December after the terrorist attack in Gurdaspur and fresh tensions on the LOC.
Khan admitted that the PCB now didn't have much time to plan for the series.
"We can't wait any longer than two months and we expect a final decision from the Indians in this time," the PCB chief stated.