Watson backs ‘in form’ Haddin to regain Test spot against Proteas
Sydney: Shane Watson has backed wicketkeeper Brad Haddin to claim his Test spot back from Matthew Wade during the first Test match against South Africa at the Gabba.
The battle between Haddin and Wade is agonisingly close and whatever report national selector Andy Bichel, who is in South Africa as part of Chennai Super King’s coaching staff, delivers to chairman John Inverarity, is unlikely to make the decision easier.
In three innings this tournament, Haddin has made scores of 20, 41 and 32, all contributions vital to getting the Sydney Sixers over the line.
Watson has seen Haddin from close quarters in the past fortnight and likes what he sees from his Sixers skipper.
“I think his batting alone looked brilliant; you could tell even in his set-up he``s going really good. From the last game to be able to come out and do what he did and even today - I think he is in some serious touch at the moment. As he always does, he keeps really well,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Watson, as saying.
“He`s mentally and technically ready to go if that opportunity does come up for him in that first Test. I have my fingers crossed for him. I certainly think he deserves a chance to be able to take on the South Africans,” he added.
“He`s just making the most of the opportunities he``s getting now. He``s scoring runs and batting beautifully, that`s all he can do,” he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song