Watson can do it again: Hussey
Melbourne: After being treated to some wonderful stroke play by Shane Watson, which saw the opener etch his name in the record books, Mike Hussey believes that
the batsman has the potential to go even further.
Watson hit a record 15 sixes in an unbeaten knock of 185 runs from just 96 balls to see Australia home with nine wickets to spare during the second one day international (ODI) against Bangladesh on Monday.
The powerful hitting exhibited by 29-year-old, who will be in action for his Indian Premier League (IPL) franchise Rajasthan Royals after the series, has left his teammates contemplating whether they had ever witnessed a better display.
Comparing Watson`s knock with that of former cricketer, Adam Gilchrist`s 149 -- studded with eight sixes -- which the left-hander hit against Sri Lanka in the 2007 World Cup final in Barbados, his teammate Hussey expressed that it was difficult to separate the two innings.
"It was pretty phenomenal, consistent hitting really," said Hussey.
"I haven`t seen consistent hitting like that since probably Gilly in the World Cup final in 2007. But it was a phenomenal innings and he`s been able to put together quite a few in the last little period -- the 161 not out against England (in January) was a pretty amazing innings, too, at the MCG. His consistency at being able to do
it is pretty amazing," Hussey said. Emphasising upon Watson`s recent run of form, Hussey felt that the all-rounder, who was only 15 runs short of Sachin Tendulkar`s record, has the ability to go higher.
"He just keeps seeming to raise the bar all the time, so I reckon he could do it again. Once you`ve done something once, it gives you that belief that you can go on and do it again... there`s no reason why he can`t do it again and again," he added.
Meanwhile, Australian batsman Callum Ferguson said his side won`t be easing up on Bangladesh as they seek to keep their slate clean.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Flying Jadeja: MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli floored by Ravindra Jadeja's brilliant fielding effort – WATCH