Watson ready to shoulder bowling responsibility in Perth Test
Sydney: Australian all rounder Shane Watson, who missed the Brisbane and Adelaide Test matches against South Africa due to a calf strain, has said he is ready to bowl as many overs as captain Michael Clarke wants him to bowl in the series-decider Perth Test.
Watson said he is ready to contribute even more with the ball than he usually would to assist tired Australian pace men Peter Siddle and Ben Hilfenhaus on a seamer-friendly Perth pitch.
“I understand that could be a possibility and at the moment that`s the biggest challenge for Ben and Peter … to freshen up as quick as they can,” the Sydney Morning Herald quoted Watson, as saying. “I do understand there will be a possibility of me bowling as many overs as I need to to be able to help the team hopefully win, but in the end my body is in the condition to be able to do it. I`m certainly fresh … compared to some of the other guys … so my body should be right,” he added.
“I`m certainly going to be up to bowling as many overs as [captain] Michael [Clarke] wants, and probably the normal sort of workload that I bowl in a Test match,” he said.
Various injury setbacks of late had fuelled suggestions that Watson should quit bowling in Test matches, but the all rounder claimed he will not stop bowling.
“Not unless something goes very horribly wrong, I wouldn``t want to give up on bowling. ``[It`s] one part I love of the game. I know it puts more pressure on my body to be able to play consistently, but it`s something I just love so much and have loved doing since I was … a young kid,” Watson said.
“The ultimate enjoyment for me is to play as an all-rounder. Mentally, the injury setbacks are frustrating at times, but it doesn`t take away the love of being able to contribute with bat and ball,” he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?